Today I am going to show you how to hand sew a pillow closed. There are several ways to close a pillow after you have sewn the cover and inserted the pillow form – machine stitched (which I do not recommend!), zipper, but my favorite method is to hand sew a pillow closed using a ladder stitch. This is the 2nd part to my post about how to make a pillow.
How To Hand Sew A Pillow Closed
Here is a short video I did showing how to hand sew a pillow closed using the ladder stitch. Written instructions are below the video.
Written instructions -
1) Before hand sewing a pillow closed, I recommend serging the bottom edges of the pillow. This will help keep the edges of the fabric from fraying.
2) After serging the bottom edges, sew a stitching line 3/8″ away from edges of fabric along the bottom side. This will give you a good guideline for making your 1/2″ fold/seam allowance.
3) Starting at the right side of the pillow – take a small stitch on one side of the fabric. Then take another stitch directly across on the other side of the pillow. You can get an idea of the formation of the ladder stitch from the drawing above.
4) Continue on across the bottom edge of the pillow from right to left.
5) When you get to the left side of the pillow, make a knot.
Here you can see the bottom of the finished pillow closed with the ladder stitch. The ladder stitch really does make a nice closure for the pillow. Hard to tell that it isn’t a regular machine-stitched seam.
Enjoy your new pillow!
I’m partying here!